Over a month ago, I had a strange craving for fried chicken. I have no idea where it came from. I haven’t eaten KFC in well over a decade and I’ve never made it from scratch until…I found the following recipe.
This recipe is amazing and pairs very well with crunchy pickles. Yep, pickles! Julien suggested it and I didn’t understand the link but he was totally right. They paired so well together since the pickles cut the grease.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 cup of fresh chopped herbs (parsley, tarragon and thyme)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2lbs chicken pieces with skin (we like to use chicken quarters and separate the drumstick from the thigh)
- 1 cup of GF flour (or regular flour)
- 1 tsp each of dried oregano, chili powder, sage, marjoram, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 tsp paprika (or more if you like paprika, like us)
- 2 eggs
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl, adding the chicken last. Pour into a large ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight for a minimum of 12 hrs.
- For the delicious coating, mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.
- When ready to cook, strain the chicken and marinade into a bowl. Get rid of about 3/4 of the liquid and whisk your eggs in the remaining 1/4.
- Coating one piece of chicken at a time, dip your chicken in the marinade and then toss in the coating, making sure to cover the entire piece.
- In a large and deep cast iron dutch oven, slowly heat a couple of inches of peanut or canola oil, over medium heat and bring it to 350 degrees.
- Fry a few pieces at a time, for approx. 8 mins per side or until golden.
- Once fried, remove chicken pieces one at a time and place on a wire rack over on top of a baking sheet covered with a Silpat.
- Then serve with your choice of yummy sides, eat and enjoy!
*Original recipe from glutenfreeclub.com!
The final product is delicious! It’s crunchy on the outside and SO juicy on the inside.
I hope that you guys give this one a try and that you enjoy it as much as we do! If you do end up trying it out, please let me know what you think.
For those fried chicken lovers out there, I would love to hear about your favourite fried chicken recipe since we’d love to try a new recipe next time a craving comes along.
Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend! Talk soon.